The Safety Standdown award is given annually to an aviation professional who has demonstrated exemplary dedication to improving aviation safety through the application of the Safety Standdown principle: LEARN – APPLY – SHARE. By learning new skills and applying them, they demonstrate their dedication to personal improvement. By sharing their knowledge, they become distinguished role models.
A nominee must:
- Be nominated by an individual within the business aviation community
- Have attended a Safety Standdown seminar (in person)
- Be employed in business aviation
- Demonstrate strong characteristics, personal traits and behaviors. (Professional contributions to aviation, leadership skills, aviation safety)
All nominations submitted to Bombardier Safety Standdown should include the following material:
- Completed online nomination form.
- Optional supporting documentation (may include resume, newspaper clippings, publications and articles related to the nominee).
- If emailing nomination form, please submit:
- Contact information of the nominator and nominee.
- Safety Award criteria as outlined on the nomination form in Section 2.
- Any supporting documentation
The nominator must submit the completed nomination package containing all the above to Safety Standdown and it must be received by the deadline. If a nomination package is received by the deadline, but judged incomplete by the Advisory Council, then the nominator may be granted an extension, not to exceed 7 days, in order to complete the submission requirements. If the extension is still not met satisfactorily, then the nomination package will not be considered.
The Nomination Process:
All information is sent to a Bombardier Safety Standdown representative, who compiles the information and presents it to the Bombardier Safety Standdown Advisory Council members. The Advisory Council members review all nominations and select the recipient, who is officially recognized at the Safety Standdown Seminar.
We are no longer accepting Award Nomination submissions for 2019.
Past Safety Award Recipients
Previous Safety Standdown Award winners have gone above and beyond the minimal job expectations. These individuals live by the framing principles of Safety Standdown. They have demonstrated an exceptional dedication, commitment and contribution to aviation safety through their actions and behavior.
Martin G. Grier, The Home Depot aviation department
Mark Chaffinch, Norfolk Southern Corporation
Robert L. Sumwalt, III, National Transportation Safety Board
Matthew Barre, Aflac
Ed Coleman, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Jeff Wofford, CommScope, Inc.
Troy Smith, Leidos Corp